Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Girl Power


What can I say? A filly won the Preakness Stakes! It was the first time since 1924 when a filly named Nellie Morse won.

I was somewhat disappointed Mine That Bird didn't come in first because I was looking for a Triple Crown winner. But the fact he was beat by a girl tickled me pink.

Rachel Alexandra is probably one of the most powerful fillys I've seen in years. The "girls" usually break down during a race because they can't keep up with the power and stamina of the stallions. But Rachel is a powerhouse.

A filly's heart and indominable spirit is what keeps her going. She gives 150% until she can't go on. That's why I have a special place in my heart for mares. They embrace you with their spirit once they learn to trust you. It takes time to earn that trust.

What is really interesting about this Preakness; a filly won the race and a gelding came in second. So much for testoserone.