Saturday, May 2, 2009

How to Make a Mint Julep

The mint julep has been the traditional drink at the Kentucky Derby for 100 years. I won't be going to Kentucky to see the races, but I thought I'd be a good sport and share Churchill Downs' mint julep recipe with you.

Early Times Mint Julep
2 cups sugar
2 cups water
Sprigs of fresh mint
Crushed ice
Early Times Kentucky Whisky
Silver Julep Cups

Make a simple syrup by boiling sugar and water together for five minutes. Cool and place in a covered container with six or eight sprigs of fresh mint, then refrigerate overnight. Make one julep at a time by filling a julep cup with crushed ice, adding one tablespoon mint syrup and two ounces of Early Times Kentucky Whisky. Stir rapidly with a spoon to frost the outside of the cup. Garnish with a sprig of fresh mint. Ideally, a mint julep should be served in a silver cup.

Sounds a little fancy to me, and too much like work.

Personally, I'd rather have a couple of shots of Jack Daniels in a paper cup with some ice, and a lemon wedge. I'll even bypass the mint. Jack Daniels is good Tenessee sipping whiskey. None of that Early Times stuff for me.

I don't even have to fight the crowds. After an early morning gallop on my own two horses and a nice hot shower, I can enjoy all the preliminary Derby horse stories and then watch the race on TV with my feet propped up and my two shots of "Jack". I think I like the idea of being an afternoon armchair jockey...just for today.

1 comment:

Mutuelle sante said...

Thanks it has been a fantastic guide, now to make a mint julep is without a doubt easy by using your advice. Thank you