Friday, May 1, 2009

Run for the Roses


Tomorrow is the Kentucky Derby. In 1904 the red rose became the official flower of the Kentucky Derby, dubbed the "Run for the Roses" by sports columnist Bill Corum in 1925, who later became president of Churchill Downs.

Each year 400 red roses are sewn into a satin backing to be draped over the shoulders of the horse who wins this pretigious race.

Each garland is also adorned with a "Crown" of roses, green fern and ribbon. The "Crown," a single rose pointing upward in the center of the garland, symbolizes the struggle and heart necessary to reach the winners' circle.

My two thoroughbred mares, Silver Lining, and Silver City Sadie will be hand galloped tomorrow, not on a track, but over fields of lush green grass, which they will later graze on.

On Derby Day I have my own tradition. Each of my horses gets one long stemmed red rose in a plastic vial attached to their stall door. They're both winners in my book, but for different yet similar reasons. They each have an indomitable spirit and a big heart.

My "girls" have carried me over all sorts of terrain, and protected me from barn prowlers, fire pits, and coyotes. They each get only one rose, but they also get a five pound bag of carrots apiece and two boxes of sugar cubes...and a bubble bath if the weather is warm. I'm not sure the Kentucky Derby winner gets that.

No comments: